If you have not installed the Desktop Recorder, please see the How to install the Desktop Recorder guide first.
Upon launching the Desktop Recorder, you will be taken to the Dashboard.
- Overview - A link to the vendor's full documentation on the Desktop Recorder. This documentation may include items/features not available at our university and goes into minutiae detail of the program.
- Record - Select to begin a new recording.
- Manage - Select to review, delete or re-upload past recordings.
- Settings - Select to review the Desktop Recorder settings. We recommend users do not change the default settings.
Starting a recording
After selecting the Record option, a four-step recording process will be displayed on the Dashboard.
Recording type selection
- Enter a name into the Presentation Name field. We recommend short but descriptive names.
- Select the type of recording you wish to make.
- Screencast + Video - Full-motion video of your desktop, video from webcam and audio from a microphone.
- Screencast + Audio - Full-motion video of your desktop and audio from a microphone.
- Slideshow + Video - Slides from your desktop, video from webcam and audio from a microphone.
- Slideshow + Audio - Slides from your desktop and audio from a microphone.
- Recommendation: If your presentation has little movement on your desktop (ex: changing slides periodically in PowerPoint), we recommend selecting a Slideshow option. If your presentation has a lot of movement on your desktop (ex: writing/drawing out equations for a math problem), we recommend selecting a Screencast option.
- After selecting a recording type, select the Next button.
Set up hardware
- Using the dropdown menus, select the camera size, camera input and microphone input in the corresponding menus as desired. Note: You will only be able to select a camera size or camera input if you selected to record video on the previous screen.
- After selecting a hardware types, select the Next button.
Capture area selection
- Select the area of your desktop you would like to capture during the recording.
- Desktop - If your computer is connected to multiple monitors, you may select which monitor you would like to record. Select a desktop if you would like to record all activity that appears on that monitor.
- Window - If you would like to record only an individual program on your screen, you may do so with this option.
- Region - If you would like to record only a part of your desktop (ex: the right side), you may do so with this option.
- Recommendation: We recommend most users to select the Desktop option as that will capture everything that appears on your screen.
- After selecting a capture area, select the Next button.
A brief summary of the selections you made in the previous steps will be displayed. Review these settings to confirm your selections before selecting the Record button. After selecting the Record button, there will be a five second countdown displayed on screen before the recording starts.
Proceed with your lecture as planned. When you have completed your lecture and are ready to stop the recording, select the red pause (⏸️) icon in the system tray or menu bar.
The default setting for the Mediasite Desktop Recorder is to process and upload your recording as you are creating your recording.
After the recording has been uploaded to the Mediasite server, teachers may edit and make the recordings available to students. Select the below guide for which task you would like to proceed to.
For more information about CourseStream, contact the iLearn Help Desk: (415) 405-5555, email@example.com, LIB 220