The gradebook has three major ways of editing grades from directly within the gradebook; you can use Single view for an individual student or item, or you can update on the Grader report itself for quick entry. This guide will cover each in detail.
Note: It is highly recommended that you enter grades for items that exist on your course page such as assignments and quizzes directly in the item itself instead of changing it in the gradebook.
Single view allows you to change a grade for a single item across all of your students or edit a single student across all of the items in your course.
- Enter the gradebook by clicking on Grades in the Administration block of your course
- Click on Single view in the Administration block or at the top of the gradebook underneath the tabs
- Select either a grade item from the Grade item pull down menu or a student from the Student pull down menu
- Enter the grades for either the items or students
Note: You may need to mark the Override checkbox first if the item exists on your course page.
- Click on the Update button either at the bottom or top of the page to save your entries
Note: Single view also has a shortcut on the main grader report. You can click on the gray pencil either next to an item name or a student's name to enter single view for that item or that student, respectively.
There are two ways to enter grades from the grader report. If you have a modern browser, simply click on the space for item you wish to grade, similar to an excel spreadsheet. Pressing Enter or Return on your keyboard will save that grade. Alternatively, click on the Turn editing on button in the upper right corner of the grader report. The boxes for each grade item will become editable fields you can type in. Once you have finished inputting your grades, click the Update button at the top or bottom of the grader report page.