Course data may be imported from any other course for which the teacher has editing rights. This can save valuable time when setting up the same course for a future semester or copying course materials and activities across multiple sections.
Note: Large courses can take a long time to import. Please allow the import function enough time to complete the process. If the process takes longer than 30 minutes, contact iLearn support services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class and what semester you are copying from.
- Navigate to the course you wish to copy into by selecting it from the My Courses block
Note: If you are importing into a future semester class, you may need to click on Show all my courses to see courses in upcoming semesters
- Click on the Import link in the Administration block of your course
- Select the course from the list shown here. Courses are grouped by academic year. Click the Continue button to confirm your selection
Note: If you are importing a course either in the same semester or the same academic year (Fall to Spring, for example), you will find the course at the very bottom in the section titled New iLearn.
- Confirm the course you selected as displayed in the information at the top of the page, then click on Begin Import Process
Note: You will be presented with a loading screen when copying your course over. Please wait until the loading screen completes. Do not close your browser or tab.
- The following page shows you a list of content in the older course you are copying from. Scroll to the bottom and click Continue
- In the Restore into this course section, you can choose whether to merge the contents of the old course into this course, or delete the contents of the new course and create a carbon-copy of the old course
Note: If you are copying a course over to reuse, we strongly recommend selecting the Delete the contents of this course and then restore option, as that brings over all of the settings from the old course, including block placement and organization. If you have already started working on your new course and simply want to copy a few items over, choose Merge the backup course into this course instead
- Leave the following Restore settings at their defaults and click Next
- By default everything is selected, but you can uncheck items you do not want. When you have made your selections, click Next at the bottom of the page
- Verify that the items with the green checkmarks are the items you want to copy over, then click on the Perform restore button
Note: The restore process can take some time to complete. Once you click on the button, there will be no indication that the restore is processing other than the loading indicator in your browser itself. Please only click on the button once in order to avoid copying over your materials multiple times. Once the restore is finished you will be taken to your new course with the freshly copied content.
Contact the iLearn Help Desk: (415) 405-5555, email@example.com, LIB 220