Course data may be imported from any other course for which the teacher has editing rights. This can save valuable time when setting up the same course for a future semester or copying course materials and activities across multiple course sections.
Note: Large courses can take a long time to import. Please allow the import function enough time to complete the process. If the process takes longer than 30 minutes, contact iLearn support services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class and what semester you are copying from.
- In the My Courses block, select the course you want to import content INTO.
Note: If you are importing into a future semester course, you may need to select Show all my courses to see courses in upcoming semesters.
- In the upper right corner, select the Edit icon (⚙️) and select Import.
- Select the course you want to import content FROM. Courses are grouped by academic year. Select the Continue button to confirm your selection.
Note: If you are importing content from a course either in the same semester or the same academic year (ex: Fall to Spring), you will find the course at the very bottom in the section titled New iLearn.
- Confirm the course you selected as displayed in the information at the top of the page, then select the Begin Import Process button.
Note: You will be presented with a loading screen when copying content. Please wait until the loading screen completes. Do not close your browser or window.
- The following page will show a list of content in the course you are importing from. Scroll to the bottom and select the Continue button.
- In the Restore into this course section, you can choose whether to merge the contents of the old course into this course, or delete the contents of the new course and create a carbon-copy of the old course
Note: If you are copying a course over to reuse, we strongly recommend selecting the Delete the contents of this course and then restore option, as that brings over all of the settings from the old course, including block placement and organization. If you have already started working on your new course and simply want to copy a few items over, select the Merge the backup course into this course option.
- Leave the following Restore settings at their defaults and select the Next button.
- By default everything is selected, but you can uncheck items you do not want to import. When you have made your selections, select the Next button.
- Verify that the items with the green checkmarks are the items you want to copy over, then select the Perform restore button.
Note: The restore process can take some time to complete. Once you select the button, there will be no indication that the restore is processing other than the loading indicator in your browser itself. Please only click on the button once in order to avoid copying over your materials multiple times. Once the restore is finished you will be taken to your new course with the newly copied content.
For additional assistance, contact the iLearn Help Desk: (415) 405-5555, email@example.com, LIB 220