Zoom is a full-featured web and video conferencing tool that allows for synchronous video conferencing, screen sharing and annotation, and text chat between participants.
You will need to log in to Zoom at least once before you create a Zoom meeting within your iLearn course. To log in to Zoom, navigate to https://sfsu.zoom.us and log in using your 9 digit SF State ID and password, same as you use to log in to iLearn.
- Select the Turn editing on button located in the upper right hand corner or click on the Turn editing on link in the Administration block
- Navigate to the appropriate week or section/topic area and click on the + Add an activity or resource link on the bottom right.
- Select Zoom under ACTIVITIES and click the Add button
- Enter a name for the meeting in the Topic field. This will become the name of the link on the iLearn course page, so make sure it's something descriptive
- Enter a description for the meeting in the Description field
- Select the date of your meeting from the When drop down menus
- Enter how long your meeting will be in the Duration field
- If the meeting will happen more than once, mark the Recurring meeting checkbox.
A recurring meeting is useful if you want to set up one meeting link and reuse it throughout the whole semester.
- Mark the Enable join before host checkbox if you want to allow your students to join the meeting before you.
- Click on the Save and return to course button to create the meeting and return to your course page.
Zoom meeting settings
|Topic||The name and topic of the meeting. This will become the link that students click on to access the meeting.|
|Description||A brief description about the meeting.|
|Display description on the course page||Displays the text entered in the description field above on the main course page|
|When||The date and time the meeting will occur|
|Duration||How long the meeting is|
|Recurring meeting||A meeting that occurs more than once|
|Password||A password that participants must type in order to join a meeting. By default, no password is set|
|Host video||Whether or not the host of the meeting will have their video turned on by default|
|Participants video||Whether or not the participants joining the meeting will have their video on by default|
|Meeting option - Enable join before host||Allow participants to join the meeting before the host does|
|Grade category||Determines which category in the gradebook for the class this assignment belongs to.|
|Visbile||Whether this activity or resource is visible to students.|
|Group mode||Whether this activity is in group mode. This setting applies primarily to forums and wikis|
|Grouping||Which grouping to use when Group mode is enabled|
The following guides are designed to be used by SFSU faculty and staff looking to use Zoom for non-academic purposes (ex: conference calls with non-SFSU users, department meetings, etc.)