iLearn provides the ability for teachers to integrate third party plugins directly into their class pages using the External Tool (also known as LTI) module. Third party providers such as textbook publishers can provide activities, access to off-campus materials, quizzes and if using LTI 2.0, grades directly into iLearn.
Add a link to an External tool
- From the course page, in the upper right corner, select the Edit icon (⚙) and select Turn editing on.
- In the week/section you want to add the file, select the +Add an activity button.
- In the menu list, under Activities, select External tool and the Add button.
- In the Activity name field, enter a name for the tool. This will become the text for the link your students will select to access the tool.
The following steps will use information provided to you by the third party provider. Be sure to ask for the Tool URL, Consumer key, and Shared secret when working with a third party.
- Select the + icon next to the Preconfigured tool drop down menu
- Fill in the Tool name provided by the external tool provider
- Fill in the Tool URL provided by the external tool provider
- Fill in the Consumer key provided by the external tool provider
- Fill in the Shared secret provided by the external tool provider
- (optional) If included, fill in the Custom parameters provided by the external tool provider. It's not always necessary, but some tool provides do require the custom parameters in order to link to the correct book or homework tool
- Set New window for Default launch container
- Under Privacy, set the drop downs as instructed by the external tool provider
- Select the Save changes button
- Choose your newly created tool in the Preconfigured tool drop down menu
- Select Save and return to course to add the link to your course
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 80