Similar to organizing individual files into folders on your computer, teachers may organize individual questions into groups called Categories. The most commonly used organization method is to create a category for each quiz in your iLearn course. Alternatively, categories could also be used to group certain questions together either by topic or type, then apply them randomly to a quiz later using the Add random question function within a quiz.
Creating a category
- From the course page, in the upper right corner, select the Edit icon (⚙) and select More...
- On the Course administration tab, in the Question bank section, select Categories.
If you already have categories created, they will appear here. If you do not have any categories, this page will be mostly blank.
- At the bottom, in the Add category section, select the Parent category for the new category you are creating.
Unless you already have multiple categories created, it is recommended to have the name of your course showing in this menu. Choosing anything other than your course name will place your newly created category as a sub-category of whatever is selected here.
- In the Name field, enter the desired name for your category.
You can leave the category info field blank unless you want to leave notes to yourself about the types of questions that are in this category. This field is only shown to teachers.
- Select the Add category button.
The newly created category will now appear in the Category drop-down menu when you create a question.
For additional assistance, contact the iLearn Help Desk: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 220