iLearn provides instructors with tools to manage and organize quiz questions outside of a specific quiz. This functionality is commonly referred to as the Question Bank and can be found by clicking on Question bank in the administration block of the course.
Creating a category
Questions can be organized into groups called categories. Categories allow you to group certain questions together either by topic or type, then apply them randomly to a quiz later using the add random question function within a quiz. To create a category:
- Click on Question bank in the Administration block of your course.
- Select Categories from the choices below Question bank
If you already have categories created, they will appear here. If you do not have any categories, this page will be mostly blank.
- Choose where you want your new category created from the Parent category menu
Unless you already have multiple categories created, you will likely want to have the name of your course showing in this menu. Choosing anything other than your course name will place your newly created category as a sub-category of whatever is selected here.
- Type in a name for your category in the Name field
You can leave the category info field blank unless you want to leave notes to yourself about the types of questions that are in this category. This field is only shown to instructors.
- Click the Add category button to create the category
This category will now appear in the Category drop down menu when you create a question.