iLearn's text editor provides rich features to edit and format text, add pictures, videos and links. Formatting tools work similarly to what is found in popular word processing software.
From left to right, the buttons are:
- Show more buttons
- Paragraph styles
- Font family
- Font color
- Background color
- Unordered (bulleted) list
- Ordered list
- Remove link
- iLearn Video
Changing font sizes
Font sizes in iLearn are designed to convey meaning and hierarchy. The Paragraph styles menu controls the size of the text, and the size of the text should correspond to the level of organization. Heading (large) is for main concepts, Heading (medium) should be nested underneath, and Heading (small) under medium. Pre-formatted is for text that needs to keep its own formatting, such as code examples, and Paragraph is for normal text.
- Select the text you wish to format.
- Select the formatting you wish to apply from the Paragraph styles menu.
To add a link
- Highlight the text you wish to make into a link and select the Link button to open the link dialog box.
- Enter the web address in the Enter a URL field making sure to include the http:// or https:// portion of the URL.
Note: If you want to link to a file you have uploaded elsewhere in iLearn, select the Browse repositories... button.
- Select the Create link button.
To add an image
- Select the Image button.
- Enter in the URL for the image in the Enter URL field, or select the Browse repositories button to upload a new image or locate an image previously uploaded into iLearn.
- Enter a brief description into the Describe this image for someone who cannot see it box.
- Mark the Auto size checkbox if you want your image to automatically resize on mobile devices (recommended).
Note: If you mark this checkbox, you will not be able to align your image to the center of the page as the auto resizing function expects the image to be left aligned.
- Select the Save image button.
To add an iLearn video or audio file
- Select the iLearn Video button.
- Drag and drop the video from your computer into the corresponding field, select the Add files button to browse your computer or select the Browse videos button to add a video you have previously uploaded to iLearn.
Note: If you are uploading a new video or audio file you will be prompted to enter a title before you can save your changes. Enter a descriptive title and select the Start upload button.
There are additional tools available by selecting the Show more buttons button.
Pasting content from other software
Pasting content from other software can get a little tricky due to most software other than native web applications having varying standards for formatting. Microsoft Word, in particular, is notorious for having poor formatting results when copying and pasting. iLearn has a Paste special function that attempts to decipher the formatting from other software.
- Select the Paste special button.
- Copy the text from the program you originally wrote in (ex: Microsoft Office, Google Docs, etc.) and paste into the Content to be pasted box in iLearn.
- Select the software you are pasting from in the Paste special dialog box. A preview of the text will be displayed in the Paste preview box.
- Select the Complete paste button.
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, email@example.com, LIB 80