iLearn's HTML editor provides rich features to edit and format text, add pictures, videos and links. Formatting tools work similarly to what is found in popular word processing software.
From left to right, the buttons are:
- Show more buttons
- Paragraph styles
- Font family
- Font color
- Background color
- Unordered (bulleted) list
- Ordered list
- Remove link
- iLearn video
Changing font sizes
Font sizes in iLearn are designed to convey meaning and hierarchy. The Paragraph styles menu controls the size of the text, and the size of the text should correspond to the level of organization. Heading (large) is for main concepts, Heading (medium) should be nested underneath, and Heading (small) under medium. Pre-formatted is for text that needs to keep its own formatting, such as code examples, and Paragraph is for normal text.
- Select the text you wish to format
- Select the formatting you wish to apply from the Paragraph styles menu
To add a link
- Highlight the text you wish to make into a link and click on the Link icon or press CTRL + K (Command + K on a mac) to open the link dialog box
- Enter the URL in the Enter a URL field making sure to include the http:// or https:// portion of the URL
Note: If you want to link to a file you have uploaded elsewhere in iLearn, click on the Browse repositories... button instead
- Click on the Create link button to create your link.
To add an image
- Click on the Image tool
- Type in the URL for the image in the Enter URL field, or click on Browse to upload a new image or locate an image previously uploaded into iLearn
- Enter descriptive text into the Describe this image for someone who cannot see it box
- Mark the Auto size checkbox if you want your image to automatically resize on mobile devices (recommended)
Note: If you mark this checkbox, you will not be able to align your image to the center of the page as the auto resizing function expects the image to be left aligned.
- Click on the Save image button to save your image
To add an iLearn video or audio file
- Click on the iLearn Video button
- Drag and drop the video from your computer into the Insert iLearn video dialog box or click on the Browse videos button to add a video you have previously uploaded to iLearn
Note: If you are uploading a new video or audio file you will be prompted to enter a title to be shown before the video or audio is played. Enter a descriptive title and click on the start upload button
There are additional tools available by clicking on the Show more buttons button.
Pasting content from other software
Pasting content from other software can get a little tricky due to most software other than native web applications having varying standards for formatting. Microsoft Word, in particular, is notorious for having poor formatting results when copying and pasting. iLearn has a Paste special function that attempts to make sense of formatting from other software.
- Click on the Paste special button
- Select the software you are pasting from in the Paste special dialog box
- Click Paste