iLearn backups are useful for archiving past course materials to reuse in future iLearn courses. Within iLearn, courses are kept for two full academic years, but instructors wanting to keep contents beyond that will need to make a backup and keep the resulting backup file on their own computer.
Backup files can only be used in other iLearn classes. The .mbz file that is created as part of the backup process cannot be opened outside of iLearn.
Backup files contain all materials and structure created by the instructor of the course but do not include any student work or grades.
- Log in to iLearn and select the course you wish to back up from the My courses block
- Click Backup in the Administration block
- Click the Next button to proceed
Note: If you simply want to make a backup of everything in your class, click the Jump to final step button. It will immediately create the backup and allow you to download it.
- Select which items you wish to include in your backup, and click Next at the bottom of the page
Note: By default, all items are selected. If you want to keep all items, simply scroll to the bottom and click Next
- Double check the list of items to be included in the backup. Items with a green checkmark will be included and items with a red X will not be included. If an item is missing, click Previous to return to the previous step. Once you are ready click Perform backup
Note: The column labelled User data will always have red Xs next to them as student data is not included in backups
Note: Depending on how much content is in your course, the backup may take a while to complete. Once you have clicked on the Perform backup button, wait for the process to complete. Do not click the Perform backup button more than once.
- Click Continue
- Click on the Download link to download the backup file to your computer
Note: When downloading the file, make sure to select to save the file to your computer rather than open as the backup files can only be used within iLearn and cannot be opened on your computer
Contact the iLearn Help Desk: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 220