iLearn assignments have the capability of receiving videos from students as submission using iLearn Video. Students can submit video directly to the assignment in this way and instructors can view the videos online and grade them.
Note: This support document specifically covers video assignments as there are special considerations to take when creating an assignment specifically for video.
For more information on iLearn assignments in general, please see the Creating an iLearn assignment support document.
To create the assignment
- From the course page, in the upper right corner, select the Edit icon (⚙) and select Turn editing on.
- In the week/section you want to add the forum, select the +Add an activity button.
- In the menu list, under Activities, select Assignment and the Add button.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the assignment. This will be the name of the assignment on your course page and in the gradebook.
- In the Description field, enter a description for your assignment. This should include any instructions or information your students need to complete the assignment.
- In the Availability section, enter the dates and times you would like your assignment to open and close.
- In the Submission types section, choose Video Submission.
Note: You will want to uncheck all of the other submission types to ensure that students are guided to submitting a video directly instead of trying to upload a file.
- In the Grade section, in the Maximum grade field, enter the number of points the assignment will be worth.
- (optional) If doing a group assignment, set Students submit in groups to Yes under Group submission settings
- Select the Save and return to course button.
While iLearn video accepts just about any video type, there are a few special considerations when creating a video for submission.
One common issue that students encounter is video rotation. On mobile devices, holding your phone the correct way yields a correctly rotated video.
Phones should be held with the bottom of the phone on the right hand side. Vertical videos and videos with the bottom of the phone on the left will result in incorrectly rotated video submissions.
Resources for students
It is recommended to add these support documents to the description of your assignment so that students can access them when reviewing and creating their submissions. Right click on the links below and select Copy to copy the URL to paste in your iLearn assignment.