Rubrics are a quick way of grading students using a guide and set of criteria. Rubrics in iLearn appear in two different places, assignments and forums, but function identically in both. This guide will cover the process of creating rubrics themselves as well as grading with the rubric. To find more information on how to configure an assignment or a forum to use a rubric, see the appropriate guide listed below.
Creating a rubric
- Select the Define a new grading form button
- Give your rubric a name in the Name field
- Add your first criteria by clicking on the Click to edit criterion field
- Add each level by clicking on the Click to edit level field and give it a title and a point range. Note that the points for each level need to go from lowest to highest and needs to start with a zero. If you need to add more levels, click the Add level button.
- To add your next criterion, click on Add criterion. Repeat the step above to add the levels for your new criteria. Repeat this step for the number of criteria you want to add
- Save changes to save your rubric
Reusing an already existing rubric
Existing rubrics can be reused in multiple activities.
- When prompted, select Create a new grading form from a template.
- Select include my own forms and then Search. Note that you do not need to enter anything in the search box, you just need to click the button.
- Select the template you want
- Confirm your selection
Grading with a rubric
Once you have a rubric set up you can use it to grade your activity. Clicking on the Grade button in an assignment or forum will pull up that activity's grading functionality. Instead of a plain box where you type in a grade, you will see the rubric instead.
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, email@example.com, LIB 80