This document is for students approved to use Pro Tools for their coursework.
These instructions will guide you through downloading and installing Avid Pro Tools for the Mac.
This software requires access to the campus network via VPN. Please refer to the VPN guide for more details. The VPN is available to students in approved courses.
You will be required to connect to the VPN each time before using this software.
You will be required to download and install 3 components to complete this process:
You may also want to install the following optional components:
Detailed instructions are below:
- Download the file LicenseSupportInstallerMac.zip via the box.com link below (login required):
- Double-click the downloaded LicenseSupportInstallerMac.zip compressed file to un-compress it.
- Double-click on the resulting dmg image file to open it.
- In the resulting window, double-click on License Support.pkg to install iLok License Manager. Follow the prompts to complete the installation and enter your computer account password when prompted.
- Download Pro_Tools_2020_9_1_Mac_107155_.dmg via the box.com link below (login required):
- Double-click the Pro_Tools_2020_5_0_Mac_106924.dmg file to open the Pro Tools disk image. In the resulting window, double-click on Install Pro Tools 2020.5.0.pkg to install Pro Tools. Follow the prompts to complete the installation and enter your computer account password when prompted.
- Download the license.prefs file via the box.com link below (login required):
- Connect to GlobalProtect VPN. Refer to the VPN guide if you are not familiar with this process.
- Open iLok License Manager which can now be found in your Applications folder.
- Go to the “File” menu at the top, and click “Preferences”.
- Click "Network->My Connections" on the left, click the plus (+) button near the middle left of the window, and click "Add Server with Config File..."
- Browse to the license.prefs file you downloaded from Box, select it, and click Open.
- Click Ok on the success message, and click OK in the Preferences window. Close iLok License Manager. Pro Tools is now ready for use.
Note: GlobalProtect VPN must remain connected whenever Pro Tools is used.
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 80