Canvas quizzes allow teachers to override time settings such as the number of quiz attempts and time limits on a student-by-student basis (i.e. students who require extra time or need to make up a quiz). Canvas calls this functionality Quiz Moderation, and more information can be found on this Canvas support document.
The quiz moderation settings allow you to unlock attempts, give students extra attempts, modify the start date and time, or give additional time.
Note: If a student asks for accommodations such as additional time to complete a quiz, they should first provide instructors with a memo from the Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC) stating what disability-related accommodations they are eligible to receive. Students without verification should be referred to DPRC: http://access.sfsu.edu/
To create a quiz user override
- Log in to Canvas.
- Navigate to your course in Canvas.
- In your course, select Quizzes from the navigation menu on the left.
- Select the title of the quiz that requires student accommodations.
- On the right side, select Moderate This Quiz.
- Search for the student you wish to create the override for using the search field at the top or scroll down on the list.
- Directly to the right of the specific student's name, select the pencil icon.
- For "Extra Attempts", enter the number of extra attempts the student will need. For "Extra time on every attempt" enter the number of extra minutes the student will need. This number is added to the time that everyone else is already given for the quiz. Once finished, select Save.