Hints and HelpAnswered
As I works through this transition, I am writing up various hints and help topics to share. My question is where should I share these?
Ones I have so far include:
- Merging Sections (by the way, I want to be able to edit the Course Name)
- Providing Extra Time for Approved Accommodations on Quizzes
- Pitfalls in the Modules imported from iLearn (this is about how "labels" become pages that are not displayed in modules like they are in iLearn)
- Merging sections (like iLearn, it's not possible to rename your course): https://athelp.sfsu.edu/hc/en-us/articles/6513311261843-Combine-course-sections
- Providing extra time (Canvas calls this moderation tools): https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/Once-I-publish-a-quiz-how-do-I-use-the-Moderate-Quiz-page/ta-p/761
- We have a guide for what items are not supported in Canvas: https://athelp.sfsu.edu/hc/en-us/articles/5298750047635-Feature-comparison-between-iLearn-and-Canvas#h_01G39ARC4GAB2W6Z07TW38WE05
You misunderstood my question. I have been writing how-to's that are more concise and specific to SFSU as I do some of this early adopter, and I was asking if there is a place that I can post these so other faculty do not need to go through the same pain and research I have already done. Note I have two sections using it this summer, we are already in week 2.
BTW - WHY is it not possible to rename the course? That should be allowed (it is an inherent feature of Canvas that you had to disable).
You are correct, I misunderstood your question. I've created a new community forum where instructors can post hints, tips and tricks for other instructors: https://athelp.sfsu.edu/hc/en-us/community/topics/6784608975123-Canvas-tips-and-tricks
As for the renaming thing, like iLearn, course names must match what a student sees on their schedule in order to avoid confusion. While it's possible to change the nicknames of courses on the dashboard on the card view (three dots menu, enter a nickname), that nickname is only visible to you. Students will always see the name as it appears on the schedule, or whatever nickname they've given the course.
Thanks for creating the forum, I will start posting there very soon.
As far as the must match what a student sees, that is the problem. Those in the merged sections see a different section number and get concerned. All I really want to be able to do is rename the course to either remove the section number all together, or list all section numbers, as an example for this summer:
CSC 0415-01 Operating System Principles Summer 2022
I would change to:
CSC 0415 Operating System Principles Summer 2022
CSC 0415-01&02 Operating System Principles Summer 2022
And that would change the Name, not the course code
Please sign in to leave a comment.