Instructors can create a Zoom meeting to use as virtual office hours and place the link in one or more Canvas courses. If the intention is to create the meeting to share for multiple classes, it's best to create the meeting on the Zoom website itself.
Table of Contents
Create the meeting
- Navigate to https://sfsu.zoom.us/signin and log in with your campus credentials
- Select Meetings in the navigation bar on the left
- Select Schedule a meeting
- Fill in the meeting details. It is suggested that the name of the meeting be Office Hours so both you and your students know that this meeting is for office hours. Mark the Recurring meeting checkbox. It is suggested to have no fixed time.
Note: It is recommended that you enable authentication for your office hours meetings to ensure that your student's name appears when they join and to ensure that only authorized SF State participants can join. You can read more about securing your Zoom meetings in the best practices for Zoom security support document.
- Save your meeting
Share the meeting in Canvas
You will use the meeting link provided by Zoom and the External URL tool in Canvas.
- Copy the invite link from Zoom making sure to include the ?pwd= portion of the link by right clicking (command + click on a mac) and selecting copy link location. You can also just highlight the link and press CTRL + C (command + C on a mac).
- Navigate to your Canvas course by going to https://canvas.sfsu.edu signing in and selecting the appropriate course
- From the left course navigation menu, select Modules.
- From the list of Modules, find the specific one you would like to add the URL to. Then, select the plus icon (+) directly to the right of the module's name.
- In the pop-up, next to Add, select the top drop-down menu.
- Select External URL.
- Paste the URL in the URL field. Enter a Page Name (this is what will appear on the Module).
- Select Add Item.
Repeat these steps in each class where you want the link.
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 80