Instructors can create a Zoom meeting to use as virtual office hours and place the link in one or more iLearn courses. If the intention is to create the meeting to share for multiple classes, it's best to create the meeting on the Zoom website itself.
Create the meeting
- Navigate to https://sfsu.zoom.us/signin and log in with your campus credentials
- Select Meetings in the navigation bar on the left
- Select Schedule a meeting
- Fill in the meeting details. It is suggested that the name of the meeting be Office Hours so both you and your students know that this meeting is for office hours. Mark the Recurring meeting checkbox. It is suggested to have no fixed time.
Note: It is recommended that you enable authentication for your office hours meetings to ensure that your student's name appears when they join and to ensure that only authorized SF State participants can join. You can read more about securing your Zoom meetings in the best practices for Zoom security support document.
- Save your meeting
Share the meeting in iLearn
You will use the meeting link provided by Zoom and the URL tool in iLearn.
- Copy the invite link from Zoom making sure to include the ?pwd= portion of the link by right clicking (command + click on a mac) and selecting copy link location. You can also just highlight the link and press CTRL + C (command + C on a mac).
- Navigate to your iLearn course by going to https://ilearn.sfsu.edu, signing in and selecting the appropriate course
- Turn editing on by selecting the gear wheel in the upper right corner of the course page and choosing Turn editing on
- In the location you want to add the link, select Add an activity or resource button
Note: It is recommended to add the link to office hours in Section 0 of the course so that students will always have it available right at the top of the page.
- Select URL and then Add
- Give your link a name ("Office hours" is probably a good choice) and paste the meeting link in the External URL field
- Save and return to course
Repeat these steps in each class where you want the link.
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 80