Canvas can natively import iLearn (moodle) backup files.
Note: Not all iLearn features are supported by Canvas. Please refer to this guide for a complete list of what can and cannot be imported from iLearn into Canvas.
Note: While Canvas can natively import iLearn content, some work will be required afterwards to readjust your content in the new system. Canvas and iLearn have a very different way of organizing course content, so some thought will be needed to readjust to the new way of doing things. How much time this takes will vary depending on how built out your iLearn course is, and how much content you need to migrate over.
Create and download a backup of your iLearn course
The first step is to create a backup .mbz file of your iLearn content and download it to your computer. This guide has more information on how to make a backup of your iLearn course. Once you have your backup file downloaded to your computer, you can proceed with the rest of this guide.
Import existing content into Canvas
- Log in to Canvas by going to https://sfsu.instructure.com
- Select the course you wish to import into from your list of courses on your Dashboard
- From the menu on the right, select Import Existing Content
- From the Content Type drop down menu, select Moodle 1.9/2.x
- Under Source, select Browse to locate the .mbz file on your computer
- If you have not created questions in Canvas already, select Create new question bank from the Default question bank drop down menu. If you have already created questions, select the question bank where you want your quiz questions to go instead
- Under Content select whether you want to import the entire course or if you want to select specific course content
- Under Options mark the Adjust events and due dates checkbox. This will attempt to adjust due dates in activities such as quizzes and assignments based on the course start date. The course start date is defaulted to the first day of instruction for the semester. If you do not want Canvas to alter your due dates, leave this unchecked. Keep in mind, however, that regardless of what you choose, you will want to review the due dates for each activity after importing.
- Select Import to begin the import process. The import will be queued up and will be listed at the bottom of the page with a progress bar. Once you see the progress bar, you can leave this page and come back later. The content will be imported in the background
After importing, be sure to check the post import checklist guide for more information on what you should be aware of after importing.