In Canvas, instructors have the ability to create and add online quizzes to their courses. A Canvas quiz can include a variety of different question types but each quiz has a maximum total of fifty questions.
Table of Contents
- Adding new quiz questions
- Editing an existing quiz question
- Add a question or questions from a question bank (randomization)
Adding new quiz questions
- Navigate to your Canvas course.
- Select Quizzes, from the left course navigation menu.
- Select the name of the quiz.
- In the top right corner, select Edit quiz. This will open the Quiz Details area.
- At the top of this page, select the Questions tab. This will take you to the area where you can find all of the questions for this specific quiz.
- To create a new question, select the + New Question button. Note: If you want your quiz to randomly pull a specific number of questions from a group of questions, select + New Question Group.
- Click on the top drop-down menu, and select the question type that you want to create.
- Next to the drop-down menu, give your question a name. This is a nickname that will help you identify the question.
- In the question box under the rich text editor, type out the question itself. In the top right corner, enter a maximum point value for this question.
- Enter the correct answer and any other required options in the Answers area.
- When you are done creating that question, select the purple Update Question button. You must press this button in order to successfully save the details of that question.
- When you have finished adding questions to the quiz, select Save at the bottom of this page. If the quiz is completely finished and you are ready to give students access to the quiz, select Save & Publish.
Editing an existing quiz question
If you need to make changes to an already existing quiz question, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to your Canvas course.
- Select Quizzes from the left course navigation menu.
- Select the name of the quiz that you need to make changes to.
- In the top right corner, select the Edit button.
- At the top of the following page, select the Questions tab.
- Find the question you wish to edit, and hover your cursor over that question. Once hovering, select the small pencil icon that will appear in the top right corner of that specific question.
- Make the necessary changes, then select Update Question.
Add a question or questions from a question bank (randomization)
Adding a question from a question bank allows for two situations: choosing a small number of questions to show from a much larger pool (for example 10 questions out of a possible 20) and randomizing the order of questions.
You will need to create your question bank first. For more information on creating a question bank, please refer to the guide for creating a question bank.
- When adding questions to a quiz, select + New Question Group at the bottom of the page
- Select Link to a question bank
- Select your question bank from the list
- Enter how many questions you want to pull from the bank at the top in Pick # questions. Note that this number must be equal to or less than the total number of questions you have in your selected question bank
- Enter how many points you want each question to be worth in the # pts per question field
Your questions will be pulled from the question bank in a random order.