In Canvas, you can create four different types of quizzes. The most common quiz is the Graded Quiz. Creating a graded quiz will provide an area for students to submit responses to quiz questions and view their overall scores.
Creating a quiz
- Navigate to your course in Canvas.
- From the left course navigation menu, select the Quizzes
- In the top right corner, select the + Quiz
Setting up a quiz and review options
1. After creating a quiz, you will land on the Quiz Details page. Enter a name for the quiz in the text box at the top.
2. In the Quiz Instructions text box, enter any information you would like your students to know about the quiz.3. Select a Quiz Type. By default, all quizzes will have the Quiz Type set to Graded Quiz. If you would like to change this, click on the drop-down menu next to Quiz Type and select one of the following.
- Practice Quiz - Students do not receive a grade although the quiz results for students display the number of points earned in the quiz. Quiz results do not appear in the gradebook.
- Graded Quiz – Students are assigned a grade. When you create a graded quiz, Canvas automatically creates a column in the gradebook for you. Certain quiz questions will be automatically graded.
- Graded Survey - Students are given points for completing the survey, but the survey is not graded for right or wrong answers. You can make graded surveys anonymous.
- Ungraded Survey - Students do not receive a grade for ungraded surveys. Ungraded surveys do not appear in the gradebook. You can make responses to the survey anonymous.
4. Select an Assignment Group. This will then put your quiz within a specific assignment group. These groups help organize your Canvas gradebook. You can change the assignment group of a quiz at any point.
5. Review additional Options for the quiz.
- Shuffle Answers – If checked, Canvas will shuffle the answers to questions that have multiple choices.
- Time Limit – If checked, students will have a limited amount of time to complete the quiz. Enter the total number of minutes a student is allowed for the quiz. The timer starts once a student has clicked the Take the Quiz
- Allow Multiple Attempts – If checked, instructors can set a specific number of attempts that students are allowed to take the quiz. If unchecked, students will have unlimited attempts to take the quiz.
- Quiz Score to Keep – Select how you want Canvas to grade the quiz attempts.
- Let Students See Their Quiz Responses – If checked, students will see their attempt immediately after they finished taking the quiz (This will not show the correct answer; it will show the question and their response to it). If unchecked, students will not see their attempt or quiz questions. Students will only see that they have completed the quiz.
- Only After Their Last Attempt – If checked, students will only be able to see their quiz attempt after all attempts have been taken.
- Only Once After Each Attempt – If checked, students will only be able to see their quiz attempt one time after each attempt. After reviewing their last attempt, they will not be able to see it again.
- Let Students See The Correct Answers – If checked, students will be able to see their attempt and the correct answer to each of the questions.
- Show one question at a time – If checked, students will only see one question on the screen. They will have to click next or back to navigate through quiz questions. If unchecked, students will see more than one question displayed on the screen.
9. [Optional] Set Quiz Restrictions.
- Require an access code – If checked, students will need a password in order to take the quiz.
- Filter IP Addresses – If checked, you can set a specific IP address, or a range IP addresses that students will need to be on in order to take the quiz.
10. Assign a Due Date.
- Assign to – The default is set to Everyone, which means all students in the course are required to take the quiz.
- Due – Enter the date and time when the quiz is due. If left blank, the quiz will not flag late attempts.
- Available from – Enter a date if you want to restrict when students can take the quiz. If left blank, students will have immediate access to take a published quiz.
- Until – Enter a date and time when you want the quiz to be available until. Students will not be able to take the quiz after this date and time. The until date can be set to a date after the due date. Any attempts taken after the due date will be flagged as late.
- + Add – This will allow you to add different due dates for different course sections or for individual students. This will not allow you to give individuals extra time.
11. Select the purple Save button in the bottom right corner.
Once saved, you will land on the Quiz overview page. You can then add questions to your quiz by selecting the Edit button in the top right corner, then selecting the Questions tab on the following page.
Learn how to add or edit questions to a Canvas Quiz.
Article is closed for comments.