Instructors in Canvas have the ability to create a Discussion and have it count as a graded assignment.
1. Log in to Canvas.
2. Navigate to your course in Canvas.
3. From the left side course navigation menu, select Discussions.
4. In the upper right corner, select the + Discussion button.
5. In the Topic Title field, enter a title for this discussion.
6. In the text box, enter the discussion prompt and any instructions students need.
7. Scroll down and under Options, check the box next to "Graded". Once the box is checked, Canvas will automatically display additional grade-related fields.
Note: If you would like students to be able to reply to other student's posts, check the box next to "Allow threaded replies".
8. To the right of "Points Possible", enter the maximum number of points that this discussion will be worth.
9. To the right of "Display Grade as", select the drop-down menu to choose the way the grade for this discussion will be displayed to students.
10. To the right of "Assignment Group", select the drop-down menu to choose an Assignment Group that this Discussion will be put into (Note: This setting can be changed after saving and publishing).
11. In the Assign area, enter a Due date for this discussion.
12. [Optional] Enter an Available from and Until date. The dates entered will determine when students can start replying to the discussion. If these fields are left blank, students will be able to participate immediately after the Discussion is published.
13. Once all settings are correct, scroll to the bottom of the page, and select the Save & Publish publish button.