You can use the Grades in Canvas to message students who fit specific assignment criteria, such as missing assignment submissions, ungraded assignments, or scoring above or below a specified point threshold.
To message students who haven’t yet made a submission to an assignment
1. Log in to Canvas.
2. Navigate to your course in Canvas.
3. On the left, from the course navigation menu, select Grades.
4. Hover your cursor over the assignment column header and select the vertical three-dot Options button.
4. Select the Message Students Who option from the drop-down menu.
5. The Compose Message box will appear. In the For students who... drop-down menu, select the “Have not yet submitted” option.
Note: You can select the “Show all recipients” link to view and select or unselect specific recipients.
6. Enter the Subject and Message. You can add file attachments by selecting the paperclip button or add audio or video comments by selecting the media button.
7. Select Send. Students will receive the message to their SF State email address.