The left-hand navigation bar in Canvas can be customized to show or hide items based on what features you would like enabled in your course. Some navigation items are only shown to instructors while others have both student and instructor views. It is recommended to disable the links you do not plan to use to help students navigate the course and avoid confusion.
To enable or disable features in the navigation bar
- Log in to Canvas.
- Navigate to your course in Canvas.
- In the left-side course navigation menu, select Settings.
- Select the Navigation tab.
- The navigation page is divided into two sections. The items at the top are items that are currently enabled in the course navigation bar. The items at the bottom are items that are currently disabled in the navigation bar. You can either drag and drop items from the bottom list to the top list to enable it (or from the top to the bottom to disable it) OR select the three dots menu next to each item to select whether you want that item enabled or disabled instead.
- Once finished, select Save at the bottom of the page. You may have to refresh your web browser to see the changes applied.