Canvas allows instructors to make a backup of a course as a .imscc (also known as Common Cartridge) file. This file allows for offline backups of course content as well as migrating content from one Canvas system into another Canvas system or learning managment platform that supports the common cartridge standard.
To make a backup
- Navigate to your course page in Canvas
- Select Settings from the navigation bar on the left
- Select Export content from the navigation on the right
- Under Export type, select Course
- Select Create export
The export will be started. At this point you can leave the page and Canvas will send you an email once it's completed. Previously created exports will appear in a list at the top of this page and previous exports will be retained for 30 days to allow you to download them.
To import into another Canvas course
Once you have downloaded the export file onto your computer from the course with content in it, you'll need to access the other Canvas course you want to import into.
- Navigate to the Canvas course that you wish to import content into.
- On the Home page, select Import Existing Content from the navigation menu on the right.
- Select the drop-down menu by Content Type and select Canvas Course Export Package.
- By Source, select Choose File to locate the backup file you just downloaded (the file type should be .imscc).
- By Content, choose either All content if you are trying to import everything from the original course or choose Select specific content to choose each item you want to import.
- Select Import.
Canvas will then automatically start importing content into your course. Depending on the size of the import file, Canvas may take some extra time to import everything.
Please sign in to leave a comment.