This document is for students approved to use Pro Tools for their coursework.
These instructions will guide you through downloading and installing Avid Pro Tools for Windows.
This software requires access to the campus network via VPN. Please refer to the VPN guide for more details. The VPN is available to students in approved courses.
You will be required to connect to the VPN each time before using this software.
You will be required to download 4 components to complete this process:
- Download the file QuickTimeInstaller.exe via the box.com link below (login required):
- Run QuickTimeInstaller.exe. Choose "Typical" installation when prompted, and leave all other options at their defaults.
- Download the file ASIO4ALL.exe via the box.com link below (login required):
- Run ASIO4ALL.exe. Leave all options at their defaults. Note: you can skip this step if your computer has an ASIO compatible sound card.
- Download Pro Tools via the box.com link below (login required):
- Right click on ProTools.zip, click "Extract All...", and then click “Extract” in the window that pops up.
- Run setup.exe inside the unzipped “Pro Tools” folder. After setup is finished, restart your computer if prompted.
- Connect to GlobalProtect VPN. Refer to the VPN guide if you are not familiar with this process.
- Open iLok License Manager from the shortcut on the desktop.
- Go to the “File” menu at the top, and click “Preferences”.
- Click "My Connections" on the left, click the plus (+) button near the middle left of the window, and click "Add Server with Config File..."
- Browse to the license.prefs file you downloaded from Box, select it, and click Open.
- Click Ok on the success message, and click OK in the Preferences window. Close iLok License Manager. Pro Tools is now ready for use. Note: Global Protect VPN must be connected every time Pro Tools is used.
Note: GlobalProtect VPN must remain connected whenever Pro Tools is used.
If you need assistance, please contact:
For additional assistance, contact Academic Technology: (415) 405-5555, firstname.lastname@example.org, LIB 80