Instructors have the ability to add files to their Canvas course. The most common place to add a file is within a Module. For a full list of acceptable file types, please visit the Canvas community support documentation article.
Upload a new File to a Module
- Navigate to your course in Canvas.
- On the left side course navigation menu, select Modules.
- Find a module you wish to add the page to, then select the plus icon (+) directly to the right of the module's name.
Note: If you do not see any modules, you will need to create a new Module. Select the purple + Module button to add a module to your course.
4. Next to Add, click on the top drop-down menu, then select File.
5. Click directly on [ Create File(s) ].
6. Select Choose Files. This will open Finder on MacOS or File Explorer on PC. Find and choose the file on your device. You can select more than one file at a time.
6. Select the Add Item button.
The file will be added to the bottom of the module. You can reorganize items within a module by dragging and dropping them in their desired spot.
Upload an existing File to a Module
If you have previously uploaded a file to Canvas, you can add it to a module without having to re-upload the file from your device.
1. Follow steps 1-4 above in Upload a new File to a Module.
2. Any file that was previously uploaded to the course can be found under Course Files. Click directly on the name of the file that you wish to add.
3. Select Add Item.
4. The file will be added to the bottom of the module. You can reorganize items within a module by dragging and dropping them in their desired spot.