Canvas has a simple attendance tool built-in called "Roll Call". This tool allows instructors to take attendance during class times. By default this tool is simply a tracking method; it does not contribute to a student's grade. It is possible, however, to link attendance to an assignment to allow it to be graded.
Note: Roll Call is an instructor facing tool that allows instructors to take attendance. Students CANNOT take their own attendance, and attendance is not automatically taken in any way. Instructors who choose to use Roll Call must manually take attendance. There is no automated attendance tool.
Table of contents
Attendance appears as a link in the Course Navigation on the left.
Note: If you do not see attendance in your course navigation, you may need to add it. Please review this guide on customizing the course navigation for more information.
- Select Attendance in the course navigation. Roll Call will show a list of students in the course and will default to today's date
- Select the button in front of the student's name to toggle between the attendance statuses. The three statuses are Present (green checkmark), Absent (red X), and Late (yellow clock). The default gray icon indicates attendance has not been taken. If you need to take attendance for a different date, use the calendar icon in the right corner to the right of the date.
Add attendance to the gradebook
By default, attendance does not count towards a student's grade. To add attendance to a student's grade:
- Create an assignment. The number of points you select and the title you set will be what the item is called in the gradebook and how many points it will be worth
- Under Submission type, select External Tool
- In External Tool Options, select Find
- From the menu, select Attendance